Are you an online store owner using platforms like Shopify, Woocommerce, Weebly, Wix or any other ecommerce platforms to sell your products or dropships product? If you are one, then there is a need to practice the best Ecommerce SEO tips and strategies especially as we have few days to step into 2019.
In my previous article, I emphasized that it’s a must for you to ‘write SEO friendly blog posts’ in order for you to practically woo google and other search engines while you rank on them.
Yes, well-written articles are damn great because they are fertilizer to a successful on-page SEO strategies which of course, it’s very beneficial to every ecommerce website owners.
After working for so long with different Ecommerce entrepreneurs, I have tapped some Ecommerce SEO tips. I’ll love to give you deep insight about how you can get your products in-front of your prospective customers who are eager to find such or related products on Google or other search engines.
I’m sure that at the end of this 4000+ words articles, your ecommerce business won’t remain the same provide you take action on every SEO tips here.
Now let start crushing them one after each other;
Introduction: What is Ecommerce SEO?
I’m sure you understand what ecommerce mean. Right?
If that’s the case, Ecommerce SEO can be defined as the strategic processes and efforts invested in putting your products or services you are selling (online) through your (ecommerce) website to the front of your targeted clients through search engines.
It’s so easy to understand, it’s like any other type of SEO practices you can used to optimize any other websites for SEO but here in ecommerce business, it’s quite different.
The essence of every Ecommerce SEO tips or strategies is not just to get you traffic or increase your ranking but to gets you more sales, returning buyers and perfect ROI. This can only be achieved if you implemented this tutorial on your online store.
Before going into the details, let quickly discuss why you need perfect Ecommerce SEO than any other type of online marketing.
Ecommerce SEO Tips: Benefits and Why It’s More than Necessary
Search Engine Optimization, SEO is the only way you can put your online store in Search Engines Result Pages (SERPs). This is when your products or its link appears when searched either on Google, Bing or any other search engines.
To say the fact, SEO will send real and genuine traffic who will turn to buyers to your website.
Methods like Email marketing, social media marketing, Ads campaign or any other method of marketing are not effective as SEO. Most traffic gotten through this methods are sometimes ‘just traffic’ which is of no use to your business.
I’m not condemning those methods above but sincerity won’t makes me keep quiet. Any random person can click on your links on social media or through Ads but might not be interested in what you’re selling. Do you agree with me?
People who search for any products or services on search engines really mean to buy or recommend it to their friends. If your ecommerce website is lucky to appears when any person search for your related products, then boom, you are about to make a sale!
As simple as that even without going through the process of paying for Ads, Social media marketing or pitching emails to your subscribers. Getting free and relevant traffic is very sweet and that’s what you are going to learn in this Ecommerce SEO tips.
You can bookmark this page if you’ll be busy soon or need not to rush any steps. Now, let start getting each of them.
18 Strategic Ecommerce SEO Tips for Ecommerce Site Owners
This is the destination we are have been trying to paddle to head to. Note that this tips practically focused on-page SEO for your website. This tips (if taken into action) will lets you gets more traffic from google and have massive sales on your Ecommerce website.
Here are the effective tips for Ecommerce SEO:
A. Make Your Ecommerce Website Responsive & Attractive
Having a responsive and beautiful ecommerce website is a must and the first thing you should deal with. What I mean is that your ecommerce website or landing page must be able to catch visitors’ attention.
These days, most people who shop online makes use of their smartphone. I know you knew this already, right?
So, if you are thinking of optimizing your ecommerce website for SEO, think of mobile users first. How you are going to convert them to buyers depends on how good your website’s users experience is.
In fact, Google love websites who are responsive on mobile devices and that’s why it’s included in their ranking algorithms. So, if you want to get organic traffic or do the perfect Ecommerce SEO for yourself or clients, think mobile first!
Here is a quick tips to make your website responsive on both mobile and web views:
- Use high quality but small-sized images –Avoid using images in PNG format! These type of images are way too big and bad for website either ecommerce or blogs. Preferably, Images in JPG or JPEG are good and advisable.
So, before you add your logo and banners to your website, make sure to convert the image format to JPG (or JPEG).
You can use Smush.it free wordpress plugin to optimize your images or use Crush.pics app on shopify. Alternatively, you can use online tools to optimize your images for SEO. Some of these online tools are compressjpeg or optimizilla
HELPFUL ARTICLE: How to Create a Responsive WordPress Website
- Avoid excess codes – Codes are useful for different functionalities. WordPress Plugins, Shopify Apps, websites and their features are built with different codes. And, there is no crime in that because without them, your website is going to be ugly and bad.
B. Optimize Homepage or Front-page for SEO
While or after you might have finished designing your website, the next thing is to start setting your pages for SEO.
Your pages starts from the homepage to other pages like products’ page, blog page and other important pages you need to have especially on your ecommerce website. So, we are going to take them one after each other and I’ll be starting with the homepage.
But why homepage is important for SEO?
The first thing visitors or customers who want to buy what you are selling will see if your homepage (which is otherwise known as front page). Apart from your visitors or customers, Google bots and other search engines bot will first crawl your homepage before any other thing in your website and that’s why your ecommerce homepage must be structured perfectly for both human (through responsive design) and search engines (through responsive design and meta settings).
Since you have now understand why homepage is very important for ecommerce SEO, the next question you should be asking is how you can optimize it for SEO…. But don’t worry, I’m going to start talking about it right now.
How to Optimize Homepage for SEO
To perfectly optimize your homepage for SEO, we are going to focus on these:
- Homepage title
- Homepage meta description
- Homepage contents
Here is how to do it;
- Homepage Title: This is not a thing you think randomly or ignored. It’s the first thing Google and other search engines will recognize your site with.
When you created your website, the homepage title is automatically ‘Home’ which you need to change to your business name and your top keywords you are targeting for.
The default ‘Home’ title given to your website is too small and meaningless if you are really going to optimize your ecommerce site for SEO.
Normally, your site title should be up to 65 characters and not more than 70 characters (including the spaces).
This is a sample:
My business name is Olgade Tech Solutions while
My targeted keywords are Web design, SEO, Digital marketing and
My targeted country is Nigeria.
Note: I have more than 10 keywords I’m targeting but I don’t need to park all the keywords in my homepage title because…… I don’t want to exceed 70 characters. So, let me write a compelling homepage title now:
Merging the business name and keywords, I will have:
Olgade Tech Solutions – Web design and Ecommerce SEO agency in Nigeria
That’s 61 characters which is cool. But let me try for an ecommerce website.
If your business name is ‘LadiesWare’ and you’re selling women clothes, shoes and other women fashion accessories and you’re targeting customers in New York. Your homepage title should be:
‘Ladiesware – Best Women Clothing Store in New York’ or something more suitable title but must not exceed 70 characters.
- Homepage Meta Description: This is so important as well and it’s the second thing search engine will see after your homepage title.
Unlike the title, you must can exceed 70 characters but must not exceed 160 characters.
Here, you have the opportunity to use most of your keywords that you were not able to use in title. But, you must write something attractive that say everything about your ecommerce website in just 160-character! If you know how to use twitter, then this will be easier for you.
Here is an example of a Meta description:
Website name or title is Afrocadio Hub
Targeted country: Nigeria.
To come up with a good Meta description, we have:
Afrocadio Hub – Scoop the latest news, lifestyle, celebrity, music, comedy skits and motivations in Nigeria.
Afrocadio Hub is Nigeria’s best website for undiluted entertainment news, lifestyle tips, celebrity gossips, comedy skits and motivations!
You can as well come up with a nice Meta description for your ecommerce website but note this 3 keys:
- Your business name
- Your Keywords and
- Targeted country
NOTE: If you are using WordPress or Woocommerce, Yoast SEO will help you to do this perfectly.
- Homepage content: Your homepage content is everything that appears on your homepage. They are the texts, the images, the videos, files and any other thing that appear to visitor is part of your ecommerce website content.
And your homepage content should be carefully arranged in such a way that visitors can easily understand what products you sell or services you render. It should also link to other pages without any difficulty.
As an ecommerce site owner, you should pick your top selling products and carefully arrange them in your homepage.
For perfect ecommerce SEO, your homepage should be easily navigable. This is not just for your customers only but Google and other search engines will be able to know what you’re are selling and they will be able to rank your website and products for that.
Making a good homepage is very easy. All you have to do is to pick a very nice theme with good layout, crystal clear and responsive. Then you edit!
NOTE: We can help you design a very responsive ecommerce website that will easily rank on google. Click here to request a proposal now.
C. Optimize Product Pages for SEO
After creating a responsive ecommerce site and optimizing your homepage for SEO, the next thing is to start optimizing your product page and let me tell you that these pages will contribute more than what you think to your ecommerce SEO strategies (provided you do everything wisely).
REMEMBER that where you add and publish each product is your product page and I’m going to tell you how you can optimize it for SEO.
Your product page should have more information to convince your customers and search engines. Most ecommerce site owners believe that adding a picture and a line of description is enough but, that’s not how to do perfect ecommerce SEO.
Here is how you can optimize your ecommerce product pages for SEO:
- Name of the product: Before you christened your product, make sure you do good keywords research on that products. I will tell you how to do good keyword research later in this article.
This is a good example, if you are selling ‘shoes’. You know we have different types of show and I’m sure you won’t just use ‘shoe’ as your product name.
If you want to sell a ‘Fendi Shoe’, be sure not to use too many words like ‘Good Fendi Shoe in Texas’ thinking that you will attract visitors with the long title. This is not a blog post but an ecommerce page!
So, fendi shoe is enough as your product name because it contains the main keywords…. As simple as that!
- Product description: This is a very important because you are going to convince both the customers and search engines why your products or service you’re selling will solve people’s problems.
Google loves website that solves people’s problems and that’s why you must make good use of the product description area to write SEO friendly contents that will easily rank above your competitors.
I wrote an article that speaks mainly about how to write SEO friendly blog posts, it will be great if you read it. Mind you, don’t forget your keywords which must appeared in the product name.
- Product Images: The product image is another thing you need to focus on, don’t think that uploading attractive images will do.
Here, you need to optimize your images perfectly for Ecommerce SEO. And don’t forget that the images you will be using for your products must be attractive and speaks clearly about your products.
But how can you optimize your product images for SEO?
- Image size is important, it should be low as much as possible but must be of good quality. Remember, to use Wp Smush plugin on wordpress, pics on shopify or compressjpeg.com to optimize your images.
- Avoid .PNG format, change to .JPG or JPEG format
- Product keywords should be image’s name… for example, fendi-shoe.jpg
- Use keywords in ALT text.
That’s all! Your product images will now be indexed by google and other search engine’s bot which will sends organic traffic to your site.
- Product URL or Permalink: This link must not be longer or misleading. You can simply use the keywords in your URL… for example, https://www.olgade.com/products/buy-fendi-shoe
- Your Product Meta description: This is important as well and I strongly advices that it shouldn’t be left empty. Here in the description box, make sure you write something that will attract people to buy your products and don’t forget that your keywords must appear in the description as well.
- Interlinking is powerful: This is simply by linking to other products’ pages within your product pages. This tactic is very important for ecommerce SEO and you should take time to interlink your product pages to each other.
D. Add other important pages
- Apart from your homepage, product pages, the cart and check-out page, you need to add other few important pages like:
- Blog page: You know what? 80% of ecommerce website owners doesn’t care about having blog page or section in their site. But, I will strongly advise you to add this page to your website as soon as possible.
The importance of this page is just to write blogs! I’m sure you know what blog, blogging or blogger is? Yes, make sure of this page to publish SEO friendly contents related to your website.
NOTE: You can hire our professional content writer as your website blogger and we delivers quality writing services for our great clients like you. If you are interested, click here to contact us immediately.
- About us: Use this page to tell people about what you do and how you operate your business as much as you can tell.
- Contact us: How customers, partner or anybody can easily contact you in case of any open opportunities or patronizing.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Use this page to answer most question you’ve been asked before and anybody can likely ask you. This will boost your customers’ relation and professionalism.
If you’ve carefully read this and you’re ready to take action on it, then your chances of seeing your ecommerce website on Google is improving but the work is not yet done as we have few things to round up with.
These are important for complete Ecommerce SEO
- Keywords Research: The best way to do this is to simply walk through all the research processes which involves knowing the Keywords difficulty, search volume, CPC and knowing customer’s intention.
Here is the explanation:
- KEYWORDS DIFFICULTY: This will tell you the chances of ranking your chosen keywords on google and other search engines, it varies from 0 – 100. Keywords difficulty from 0 – 49 is good and can be ranked easily but mind you, the lowest the better. Any Keywords difficulty above 49 is very difficult to rank for and you will need to be spend more time in your Ecommerce SEO processes before you can rank for it.
- SEARCH VOLUME: This will show you how popular that keywords is. Not just popular but how much people are searching for the keywords on search engines. The more the search volume, the better for you to rank.
- CPC: It’s known as ‘Cost Per Click’. It will tell you how much advertisers pay for each click. If the CPC is high, then the competition is high but if it’s low, then you’re lucky.
- CUSTOMER’s INTENTION: You can easily detect this by searching for the keywords you’re targeting, on Google.
When you search for the keywords, difference result will comes up right? The results will determine the customers’ intention. If the top results looked somehow related to buying or selling, then you’re lucky.
But if it’s other way round, you need to look out for long-tail keyword.
- Competitor’s Research: Another step for perfect Ecommerce SEO strategies is to know those big ecommerce site ranking for the keywords. Tools like Ahref and SemRush will easily help to discover those sites ranking for the keywords.
After getting the top-ranking sites from either ahref or SemRush, analyse how they structure their entire website and the products’ pages. After getting the information, don’t copy them but write and optimize your website including the product pages for search…. More than your competitors!
Look out for how many backlinks the product’s page and the entire website is having and on your site, build more backlinks.
E. Other Ecommerce SEO strategies you must practice
After doing all those things aligned above, here is a round-up of what you need to do:
- Build Backlinks: When I asked you to check on your competitors, I said you should build more backlinks. But do you know what that really mean?
Backlink is the opposite of Interlink which I asked you to do when you’re writing your product pages’ description. But interlinking is within your website while Backlinking is another website or blog is linking to your own website.
Building backlinks is very important for you to rank on search engines. The more and powerful you backlinks are, the more chances you will appears easily on Google and other search engines.
To build quality backlinks that will help your website in ranking, you need find websites with high authority (domain and page authority) which ranges from 0 – 100. The higher the DA and PA, the better and important ones for you.
NOTE: Websites with high DA and PA may charge you some bucks which is very worth it especially if you’re earnest towards complete Ecommerce SEO setup. For example, to get a backlink from website with DA of 20, it may cost you $50 and if the Domain Authority is high, then the cost will also high.
I have once helped a client to get backlink from Forbes and it cost $2500 per link. Whereas, Forbes DA is not up to 100 but it’s very high.
Getting backlinks from high authority website will let you rank so easily and faster!
- Get high social media signals: This can simply be achieved if your website has many active traffic and those visitor shares you products to their friends using the social media sharing buttons on your website, then there are great chances that your ecommerce website and its products will be trending on social media.
But since you don’t have more social shares, you can buy social signal from trusted sellers like us. This will help you boost your ranking on search engines and people will know about your website easily.
- Use Videos: To engage your visitors and convert them to buyers, videos can help you. All you have to do is to shoot or record short videos about why they need to buy your products and other benefits added. It’s advisable but not compulsory.
18. Get Customers’ Reviews or Testimonials: I’m sure you know what this mean right? Make sure this appear on your homepage for your new customers to see how trusted you are. Testimonials can help you get more sales because people loves what is legit and reliable.
Reading is not enough but you need to take action on what you just read for everything to work perfectly well as you want. So far, I have listed 18 ways you can rank your ecommerce website on Google and other search engines. I hope everything is crystal clear?
For any SEO services, Ecommerce website design, Content writing, Ecommerce mobile app development and anything related to ecommerce such as DropShipping, we are ready to help you out if you can hire us. If you’re interested in hiring our team of experts, kindly click here to contact us immediately.
This post “Ecommerce SEO tips” can help others if it’s helpful to you. Kindly help us share the love using the social media buttons below and, don’t forget to comment or ask any question. Thanks!